All players pick a team (or for the epic version, just drink for every category): homophobia, misogyny, and racism.
Now open up Twitter, use whatever relevant hashtag is appropriate to access the latest Twitter conversation about a particular hockey game or series, and follow the instructions below:
For those on the homophobia team, take a drink for every tweet containing:
- "fag" or "faggot"
- "homo" when not referring to whole milk in Canada
- references to one player fucking another or being fucked in the ass
- accusations of "gayness" ("You're so gay", "that's fucking gay", etc etc.)
- any other homophobic bullshit
For those on the misogyny team, take a drink for every tweet containing:
- the use of "pussy" when not referring to a cat
- insulting references to somebody's mom: ("motherfucker" or "mofo", etc etc.)
- references implying women are weaker than men ("XX plays like a girl", "The Sedin Sisters", etc etc.)
- references to rape ("I'm going to bend XX's wife over a table...", "XX is going to fuck XX's wife", etc etc.)
For those on the racism team: take a drink for every tweet containing:
- a racial slur
- statements about foreign players and insults to their native country
- references to "your people" or "those people"
Regardless of team, drink for every tweet containing:
- a death threat
- a threat to personal safety
- a threat to destroying another city/country
Seriously, if I had started doing this at the beginning of the playoffs, I'd be dead by now from alcohol poisoning. Yes, this "drinking game" is meant to be funny; but the fact is, the language people use is exceptionally hateful and each and every tweet spouting hate makes the world we live in that much more toxic. Again, I love trash talking with other hockey fans: but there is absolutely no reason it has to include language like this. Intelligent people can chirp without resorting to hate.